Start your path to an exciting and rewarding career in health information technology today by enrolling in the associate degree program at ASA College with campuses in Manhattan and Brooklyn, NY. The Health Information Technology (HIT) program prepares students to become essential members of the health information management profession, equipped with knowledge and understanding in the field of health care information technology. With comprehensive in-class learning and an externship during the last semester for real-life work experience, our curriculum prepares students to take the first steps into a rapidly growing field. Contact us to learn more about health information technology careers today!Learn About the HIT Program at ASA College
Health care information technology is a vital part of patient medical care that uses data technology to safely and accurately store critical patient information so that it is readily available for medical treatment, billing, legal use, and more. Our curriculum prepares students to enter this field with the knowledge to:
- Collect, tabulate, compute, and prepare statistical reports for use by the medical staff, administration, governing board, and authorized agencies.
- Code clinical data for research and other reporting purposes.
- Perform reviews of health information for patient care evaluation, quality improvement, and utilization management.
- Apply ethical and legal principles and standards for the control, release, and use of health information.
- Utilize computers to compile data, process information for prospective payment systems, and perform various other data analysis projects.
- The Skills You Need to Succeed
The HIT curriculum addresses all of the essential skills necessary to thrive in a career in health information technology. Students participate in discussions of ethical, legislative, and regulatory issues relative to the day-to-day operations in a health care facility. Our real-world preparation teaches about advancements in technology and how it is used. We build on essential writing, communication, and critical-thinking skills vital when interacting with various people, including medical professionals, patients, and external partners. Our goal is to ensure that each enrolled student leaves our program with a high level of integrity.
Enter the Growing Field of Health Information Management
Health information management technology skills are highly sought after. The demand for professionals in the field is growing due to the rise in medical treatments and procedures. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 22% increase in medical records and health information technicians’ jobs through 2022. Graduates of the associate’s degree program learn to organize and technically evaluate health information, including collecting, managing, and protecting patient data. The careful review of medical records and data organization ensures accurate and precise health information records for future use.Career Opportunities in Health Care Information Technology
Successful completion of the HIT associate’s degree program at ASA College puts you on a path towards a rewarding career in various industries, including health care corporations, software companies, and government agencies. Possibilities include:
- Ambulatory care facilities
- Health information departments
- Regulatory agencies
- Acute care hospitals
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Mental health facilities
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Physicians’ offices
- Health insurance companies