Welcome to City University of Hong Kong (CityU). We are a dynamic university established in 1994 and uniquely located in the heart of Hong Kong, Asia's world city. Our goals are to pursue high levels of excellence, promote innovation and nurture creativity with the aim to improve people's lives. In a city where East meets West, our vision is to become globally recognised for professional education, one that emphasises the mutual enrichment of different cultures and intellectual traditions, and for research that makes a real difference.
CityU is growing. It comprises of nine Colleges/Schools in a wide range of disciplines including Business, Engineering, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Science, Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences, Creative Media, Data Science, Energy and Environment, and Law. CityU is also home of Hong Kong's first-ever Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine programme at the Jockey Club College of Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences commenced in the 2017/18 academic year in partnership with Cornell University, one of the world's top-ranked veterinary schools. Our curricula are designed to promote knowledge creation, original discoveries and innovative thinking by integrating teaching and research at all levels.
As an international university, we emphasise diversity, intercultural learning and a global vision. Our distinguished faculty are recruited from all over the world. We have established an excellent international network of academic collaborations and developed global agreements with over 400 student exchange parties from more than 40 countries/jurisdictions. Our graduates are thoughtful, adaptable and open-minded professionals who make positive contributions to society.
CityU has performed strongly in international rankings. According to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2022, CityU is ranked 53rd in the world. In terms of research quality as measured by citations per faculty member, CityU is ranked among the top 31 globally, reflecting its substantial and rapidly rising research strengths.
CityU offers professional education that prepares its students for the challenges and exciting opportunities opening up in Hong Kong, the Asia-Pacific region and throughout the world. In brief, we are:
A leading global university
- We have risen steadily in international rankings. Quacquarelli Symonds ranked us 4th in the world which is under 50 years old in 2020 and 53rd in the world in 2022
- In response to the challenges of the world today, we spearhead discovery and innovation at the forefront of our research and education
- Our strength spins a range of disciplines from Business, Creative Media, Data Science, Energy and Environment, Law, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Life Sciences and Veterinary Medicine to Science and Engineering
Global Focus, International Standards
- With over 400 exchange partners in 40+ countries/regions, CityU aims to provide over 65% of our students with overseas and internship opportunities
- Home to pre-eminent scholars, including 9 academics of prestigious national and international academies
- An international team of faculty with 70% of our professors recruited from overseas countries
- The medium of instruction is English
- A culturally rich and harmonious campus with over 20,000 students from Hong Kong, mainland China and more than 80 countries and regions
Discovery-Enriched Curriculum (DEC)
- Goal of giving all our students the opportunity to make an original discovery while at City University
- Broaden intellectual horizons through interdisciplinary Gateway Education (GE) courses
- Integrate research and discovery into curriculum to support innovation