Established in 1869, the University of Otago is New Zealand’s first university and enjoys a long and distinguished educational heritage. The university is ranked within the top 1 per cent of universities globally and has developed a widely renowned research and teaching profile.
Otago has campuses in the North and South Islands, and their Dunedin campus is recognised as one of the most beautiful in the world, boasting forested hills, beaches, incredible wildlife, and a stunning natural harbour on the doorstep.
Otago delivers a superb student experience, with internationally excellent teaching, state-of-the-art facilities, world-leading research groups and a lively programme of extra-curricular events and activities.
The university offers a range of flexible study options with over 200 courses spanning four academic faculties: Health Sciences, Science, Commerce/Otago Business School, and Humanities.
Otago is the top New Zealand institution for student performance and retention, boasting a five-star plus QS rating for employability, internationalisation, teaching, and research.
Otago’s student lifestyle is unmatched, with a diverse community including 3,000 international students from over 100 countries.
Otago’s Social Impact Studio works alongside more than 200 community organisations, running volunteering and leadership programmes which achieve impactful contributions and promote student-driven change.
Student-driven change further flourishes in Otago’s Sustainability Neighbourhood, with university-owned flats set up to grow food, compost, recycle, be energy efficient and take part in ongoing research focused on creating a sustainable student community.
- The University of Otago is ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world, and has the highest-possible rating of 5 Stars Plus in the QS global university performance ratings.
- Employers love Otago graduates. 95% of our graduates go directly into work or further study. Otago graduates are recognised for their interpersonal and negotiating skills, conceptual and analytical skills, and independent judgement.
- The University of Otago is New Zealand’s top university for educational performance. For 6 of the past 9 years, our teachers have beaten all other universities and polytechnics to win the Prime Minister’s Supreme Award for Teaching Excellence.
- The University of Otago’s Central Library (one of nine libraries at Otago) is ranked 13th best library in the world.
- Our Dunedin campus is recognised as one of the world’s most-beautiful campuses.
- Student surveys show 98% satisfaction with administration and support; 98% with campus safety; 99% with libraries; 98% with residential colleges; and 97% with sport and recreation facilities.
- Otago is the first university in New Zealand to achieve Fair Trade status.
- Our Social Impact Studio achieves student-driven change through volunteering and leadership. We believe in channelling student creativity, vision, and insight for maximum social impact through our incredible volunteer programmes. Around 4,000 Otago students are registered volunteers, working with over 200 community organisations.
References: QS World University Rankings and QS Stars Rating, Graduate Opinion Survey, Tertiary Education Commission Educational Performance Indicators, BuzzFeed, The Telegraph, HuffPost, Fairtrade New Zealand.