- Practical Nursing (In-Class)
- Practical Nursing (Flexible)
The Practical Nursing for Internationally-Educated Nurses program is designed as an academic pathway to transfer skills and nursing knowledge to a Canadian setting.
The Practical Nursing for Internationally-Educated Nurses courses in this college diploma program will meet the needs of:
- Internationally-educated nurses interested in working as registered practical nurses (RPNs) in Canada;
- RPNs who hold a certificate and wish to upgrade to an Ontario college diploma;
- RPNs who have been out of practice for 10 years or less and need a refresher program.
The offering's curriculum is in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario's Professional Standards and National Entry-to-Practice Competencies for Registered Practical Nurses. It will focus on assisting you in developing your knowledge and critical thinking, communication, teaching and learning, professionalism, advocacy, research, and leadership and ethical-decision making skills — and applying these skills in health care settings.
Taking three consecutive semesters to complete, including 14 weeks of consolidation experience, the School of Community and Health Studies program will consider your needs so that you may complete your diploma studies within one year.
The diploma resulting from this Practical Nursing for Internationally-Educated Nurses program may enable you to continue your academic studies at the baccalaureate level. For example, RPNs with a diploma in practical nursing (with a minimum 3.0 GPA and no failures or repeated courses on their transcripts) may continue their studies at Centennial's Bridging to University Nursing program and, upon completion of this program, can apply to Ryerson University's post-degree completion program to earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
Practical Nursing for Internationally-Educated Nurses is only offered on a full-time basis. Those interested in taking it on part time will need to speak to the program coordinator.Notes
- The Practical Nurse diploma for IENs at Centennial College is currently approved, Category 2 by the College of Nurses of Ontario. Current graduates from this program are eligible to apply for registration as RPNs in Ontario. For further information regarding this CNO approval process, please visit www.cno.org/become-a-nurse/.
- For more information or questions, please contact Natashia Deer, Chair of Nursing Programs at [email protected].